Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: World's most powerful supercomputer goes online (fwd)

From: Raj Mathur <raju () linux-delhi org>
Date: Mon, 3 Sep 2007 00:28:26 +0530

On Sunday 02 September 2007 23:05, hack the gov wrote:
On 9/2/07, Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu <Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu> wrote:
[snip]
No, between Storm and the Rock Phish stuff, I hardly think they
qualify as "pussies".  Taking in $150M with *one* of their projects
makes them seriously big time.

http://www.economist.com/displaystory.cfm?subjectid=7933606&story_i
d=9723768
[more snip]
i think most americans would hand over their computer to the american
government for a "cyber nuke program" to counter the "cyber threat"
by russia. if i thought russia was "cyber nuking" the west or was
about to, i'd sure let my computer be signed upto the "cyber nuke
program", to make sure my bandwidth killed the russians "cyber nuke".

Er, wouldn't a sizeable number of the computers in the botnet be in .us
anyway?  There's no ``russians "cyber nuke"'', they just happen to
control zombies all over the world.

this talk is very futuristic, but i think in the future we will need
to get a u.s president to convince the american people that there is
a "cyber threat", and we need your computers to counter incoming
"cyber attacks" by foreign governments and terrorist groups.
[snip]

Dude, ``your computer'' is probably already on the botnet!  The solution
is a way to keep computers clean, not going around nuking each other.
There are also no ``incoming "cyber attacks"'' -- the attack is from
your neighbour's PC.

Regards,

-- Raju
--