Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: TCP Hijacking (aka Man-in-the-Middle)

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2007 15:30:37 -0400

On Fri, 26 Oct 2007 18:03:27 +0400, 3APA3A said:

I  afraid  you  misunderstanding  or  misinterpreting results of Michael
Zalewski's  work  (which is, by the way, last real "hack" in the initial
meaning  of this word in the field of computer security). In most cases,
you have good probability to guess SN after some number of guesses. E.g.
for  Windows NT 4 you have 100% probability after 5000 guesses. There is
no  OS  with  100% or even 50% probablity after 1 guess. And you have to
remember,  that  result  of  the  guess is not known to you immediately,
because you are spoofing blindly.

I'm fully aware of that.  How is that any different than the *many* exploits
we've seen that have to launch the attack a number of times with different
offsets because the "right" one can't be predicted?

Not every exploit triggers 100% the first time.  Deal with it.