Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Macro threats

From: "matthew wollenweber" <mwollenweber () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2007 14:01:25 -0400

When I do penetration tests I think macros are a useful tool. Most
organizations now have strong perimeter defenses. So the initial foothold
onto the network is a substantial challenge. For larger networks you can
anticipate stupid (unknowning) users that will launch a macro. Everyone has
their favorite set of excel macros after all. It's not a clever attack, but
it gets the job done. The challenge of getting a foothold may increase the
pressure to use macro attacks. However, overall I think there will be a
slight decline

In favor of not using macros is Web 2.0. Via web "defacement", XSS, DNS
attacks, and social networking sites that I can fairly confidently find a
secondary target that I know my primary target will visit. I can then attack
IE/Firefox. I think it's a fair bet to say there's always an exploit for
IE/Firefox/Flash/libjpeg/libpng/wmv/mpeg/etc that's standard content for web
pages. Further, Office 2007 is now on the scene. While I have no expertise
on Office software is generally more prone to bugs (and thus attacks)
earlier in it's life cycle. Therefore, Office attacks might focus more on
direct exploitation rather than using a macro.

The above is just my opinion. I have no hard data supporting it one way or
another, so take it as you will.

-Matt

On 6/5/07, Muscarella, Sebastian (IT) <