Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: IPS Evasion with the Apache HTTP Server

From: H D Moore <fdlist () digitaloffense net>
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2007 09:19:49 -0500

Agreed. The point was that IPS vendors have put a large amount of effort
into normalizing IIS-specific encodings, but fail to handle
Apache-specific quirks.

The note in RFC  2616, Section 4.1, refers to a single CRLF before the
Request-Line. Prepending multiple CRLFs or non-printable characters (as
coderman mentioned) falls outside of the RFC and I consider them
Apache-specific HTTP evasions.

Jamie has a good point about the PHP RFI signatures. Many IPS products
(sorry, I don't want to pick on any particular vendor) will look for a
http:// URL to detect RFI attacks. Replacing http with one of the other
protocol handlers (zip, ftp, file, smb on windows, etc) will evade many
of these signatures. The php://filter/resource trick is a nice hack for
evading existing signatures while still using a http URL for the included
PHP code.

-HD