Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: You shady bastards.

From: "J. Oquendo" <sil () infiltrated net>
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2007 15:07:26 -0400

Dude VanWinkle wrote:
On 6/6/07, Larry Seltzer <Larry () larryseltzer com> wrote:
Really? I have gotten benefits and medical communications at my office
addy.

That stuff should be going to your home address, not least for this
reason.

Is should relevant? Is it a violation of HIPAA to read these
communications, even if I have these communications sent to my work
addy?

any lawyers on the list?

-JP<who's Draft was autosaved at 2:49 pm>

Medical and Workplace Privacy
http://lorrie.cranor.org/courses/fa04/work2.ppt

Permits identification of the individual (or creates a reasonable basis upon which to identify the individual)
45 CFR §164.501

Also see Office Snooping:

The information was learned in a routine audit of the company’s health plan for fraud, drug abuse, and excessive costs No prohibition against employers making use of medical records in employment decisions
All co-employees had a “need to know”

--
J. Oquendo
http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x1383A743