Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Google's blacklisted url database (phishing url database)

From: "Am Razak" <pinangs () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2007 16:56:31 +0800

Sent to the wrong place.... sorry.

On 1/4/07, Am Razak <pinangs () gmail com> wrote:

Checked Google page

  it says that entire URL will be transmitted to Google. If the site
authentication is posted on the URL, it will be captured by google.

GOOGLE SAYS......
12. What information is sent to Google when I enable the Enhanced
Protection Feature?

When enabled, the entire URL of the site that you're visiting will be
securely transmitted to Google for evaluation. In addition, a very condensed
version of the page's content may be sent to compare similarities between
authentic and forged pages. For example, if the condensed 'fingerprint' of
the page you are visiting matches the 'fingerprint' of a popular bank's site
but the page's URL is different, that's a good sign that the page you are on
is designed to mislead users.

If you disable Enhanced Protection, no information about the pages you
visit will be sent to Google unless you visit a page Google Safe Browsing
identifies as potentially unsafe. In this case, we will only send the action
you choose to take to help refine our anti-phishing algorithms. Please note
that enabling Enhanced Protection gives the Google Safe Browsing extension
access to the most up-to-date fraud information about each page you visit.

Please see our Privacy Notices<http://www.google.com/tools/firefox/extensions_privacy.html>for privacy information
regarding Google Safe Browsing