Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: PC/Laptop microphones

From: Sebastian Nohn <sebastian () nohn net>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2007 08:25:17 +0100

Jim Popovitch wrote:

the PC or laptop microphone?  Does disabling the sound card remove the
availability of a built-in microphone? What if I want to play mp3s but
never have the need to use a microphone? Given recent info about the US
FBIs capabilities to remotely enable mobile phone microphones
(presumably via corporate cellular service providers), what prevents my
OS provider (or distribution) and ISP from working on a way to listen in
on my office or home conversations via the microphone or the built-in
speakers?  Thoughts?

It should be easy to destroy the microphone physically.

- Sebastian