Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Microsoft Windows file open without extension

From: "Michele Cicciotti" <mc () khamsa net>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2007 14:10:54 +0100

This only works with files connected to Microsoft Office so far. I have tested the common
extensions as like xls (Excel) and doc (Word) successfully on my Microsoft Windows XP with
SP2 and all the patches. It seems as like the file header is parsed in any case.

This is intended behavior

Other Microsoft products as like bmp (Paint) or txt (Notepad) are not working.

Oh, don't bother. You have stumbled on an age-old quirky behavior of Windows. Office document formats are based on a
standard Windows container format, OLE structured storage files, also known as "docfiles". A docfile's name and
extension are irrelevant - the file is, conceptually, a serialization of an OLE object, and like all serialization
formats it contains the identifier of the application that produced it, in the form of an OLE class id (in GUID format)
in this case. You can easily verify that it doesn't work with the newer Office XML formats

Here, have a look at this: http://www.securityfocus.com/infocus/1874

Another file format well-known to be based on docfiles are Windows Installer packages, but they don't have a CompObj
stream specifying the object to instantiate, so they cannot be used to pull this trick