Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Vista Reduced Function mode triggered

From: Jay Sulzberger <jays () panix com>
Date: Mon, 1 Jan 2007 22:11:02 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 1 Jan 2007, Poof <poof () fansubber com> wrote:

The issues that the original poster is having don't sound anything like
normal behavior. One of the scenarios expected in Vista would be a Laptop
that's been activated being used in a restricted internet work zone. And if
that laptop has been activated normally (The 1-time activation as provided
with the Windows install.) it shouldn't go to reduced mode. Further, it'll
give a 30 day warning prior to going to reduced mode if it's suddenly
deactivated asking for it to be reactivated. (Say a hardware change/etc.)

In the short, I am unable to repro this. I'm currently running Vista on two
systems; the other system is in a sandbox. (However, was "open" during the
activation process.)

Erm, from what I can see from the requirements, Internet is not required as
it's in the same format as Audio.

The issue is not: How Microsoft treats those whose boxes Microsoft has
Tojaned.

The issue is: Microsoft should not be root on my computer.

And no EULA can take away root from me and grant root to
Microsoft on any computer I own.

oo--JS.