Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: JavaScript inLine Debugger - The fastest web sites debugger (technique, not a tool)

From: SirDarckCat <sirdarckcat () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 3 Feb 2007 21:00:49 -0600

Hi!

well "javascript:" is not an URL is an URI..
the document is not about the name of the technique (JaSiLDBG is the "code
name" we decided to use, you are free to name it as you want).

the document really is a handbook on how to use the "javascript" URI for
debugging web sites "on the fly".. I think that most of the persons that
should know how to use "javascript URI" for debugging purposes doesn't know
it, that's why we wrote the document.

about the attribute/property issue, I think you are right :P there has been
a problem when transcribing the document from my notes :P

Greetz!!

On 2/3/07, Ben Bucksch <news () bucksch org> wrote:

SirDarckCat wrote:
> JaSiLDBG
> JavaScript inLine Debugger

Are you selling us the "javascript:" URL as "JaSiLDBG JavaScript inLine
Debugger"? From all I can tell from your doc, you simply renamed
"javascript:" to "JaSiLDBG".

Would have been more appropriate, and more useful, if you would have
called your doc "How to use the javascript: URL
Dynamically inspect and modify webpages".

The doc does seem to be a useful as introduction.

It contains an error right on the second page, though (I didn't read
much further): "the difference between properties and attributes is that
you can't change attributes". That's not correct. Properties are (in C++
language) "member variables" of JS objects, while attributes are
conceptually more or less the same, just on DOM/XML/HTML nodes. Most of
them are not represented as JS properties due to potential name
collisions, but you can get them via the getAttribute() function, and
you can set/change them via setAttribute(). You mention it yourself on
page 14. The whole DHTML / AJAX movement bases on that.

See also
<
http://www.w3.org/TR/2000/REC-DOM-Level-2-Core-20001113/idl-definitions.html

A very interesting and very stretching use of javascript: URLs can be
found at <http://www.squarefree.com/bookmarklets/>. Highly recommended.

Ben

--
Att.