Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: WEEPING FOR WEP

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Fri, 06 Apr 2007 15:32:36 -0400

On Fri, 06 Apr 2007 14:49:29 EDT, Troy Cregger said:
Even if someone decided to hide in the woods at the edge of my yard with
a laptop they're more likely to be eaten by a bear, sprayed by a skunk,
or chewed alive by mosquitoes than collecting enough packets to crack
the WEP key, so WPA or LEAP would be overkill.

That's one bad-ass woods you live in, or one *really* low packet rate network.
Given the recent attacks that can do the break based on only a few minutes of
packet capture on a moderately busy network, it shouldn't be more than a long
afternoon's work. Eaten by a bear is *exceedingly* rare, most skunks won't
spray unless you corner them, and if you have any brains it will take
mosquitoes a long afternoon to chew you alive unless you're in swampland.

I will however grant you that rabid skunks are both fairly common and
bad news.