Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Question Regarding Wireless Frames

From: "kevin horvath" <kevin.horvath () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2007 11:40:45 -0400

Recently i come to know about a network where becon frames where
blocked.
Do you mean not beaconing the SSID as mentioned by Michael or do you mean
they being blocked by a wireless IDS?

With the limited knowledge about this stuff i am wondering is
there any other kind of frames from which we can identify the
accesspoint over a wirless network?

Well if its just not beaconing with the SSID (aka no ssid broadcasting) then
follow Michaels steps or just do a tcpdump or use wireshark to filter the
frames  and look into the frame control.  If its due to a Wirless IDS you
should still be able to see some traffic but you will probably see alot of
deauths also if its trying to prevent rogues.

Thanks for any help.
your welcome.

As for Michaels comment
The only bummer is you can't change *your*
mac with ifconfig like you can with other cards.

Sure you can.  You have to do it on the primary wifi0 and not a vap (athx).
shut it first, then change it (ifconfig or tool such as macchanger), then
bring it back up.

hope this helps.

Kevin