Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: [botnets] [funsec] Haxdoor: UK Police Count 8, 500 Victims in Data Theft (So Far) (fwd)

From: Gadi Evron <ge () linuxbox org>
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2006 13:49:47 -0600 (CST)

On Mon, 30 Oct 2006, bf wrote:
"So, knowing full-well security is out of our hands, and relies on the
security of our users. Knowing full-well that the same technology can be
used to bypass 2-factor authentication, how do organizations handle their
own security, if they are to have clients?"

Organizations make attempts to protect the resources immediately under
their control and the losses incured by end user compromise are
written off as a loss. Indeed, this sort of loss is so hard to
quantify that the end user and "affected organization" (Bank for
example) have no way of knowing how or why the account or identity of
the end user was ever compromised.

IE:
End user: "Wow my identity was stolen, how did that happen?"

Bank: "No problem, we'll issue you a new card/account/what-have-you.

But you know this already.

It is quantifiable (sp?), if the bank know it was stolen by certain means
already.

        Gadi.