Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: EXIF thumbnails - now with sourcecode

From: "KF (lists)" <kf_lists () digitalmunition com>
Date: Fri, 26 May 2006 08:51:44 -0400

You forgot the link....

http://no.spam.ee/~tonu/exif/

-KF

Tonu Samuel wrote:

Maybe year ago this EXIF thumbnails security topic already was discussed in security lists. Mail problem to me was lack of real world examples or any kind of statistics of this problem. People who published this problem did not shared source code used. There was many technically problematic things to solve before anyone was able to repeat the experiment.

I decided to write own software to find how how distributed this problem is and get some statistics. I cannot tell you right numbers but approximately 1% or less jpg images contains any exif thumbnails which in opinion of my software have some difference from big image. I already excluded URLs containing word "thumb" and many other possibly bad matches, so 1% is still overestimated. Most of this 1% is 90 degrees rotations, small crops and other not-so important changes. Less than 1% of those 1% contain something sensitive. This is question of definition.

Well, I made some page where you can see what is already found and also you can grab source code and try it yourself. Currently i found images on sites of FBI and CIA and many other places.
  Tõnu