Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: ThreatCon at Normal level now - Was: MS06-019 - How long before this develops into a self propagating email worm

From: <0x80 () hush ai>
Date: Sat, 20 May 2006 16:54:12 -0700

ahh yes we should all pay attention and trust a "threat meter"
designed to sell products.

On Wed, 17 May 2006 16:26:51 -0700 Juha-Matti Laurio <juha-
matti.laurio () netti fi> wrote:
ThreatCon meter is at basic, Normal level now. People at Symantec
had their meter at Level 2/4 since May 11th.
ISS's AlertCon went to level 1/4 on Monday.

- Juha-Matti

On Thursday morning (local time in Finland) Symantec ThreatCon
is at ('Elevated') Level 2 now:

http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/threatcon/learnabout.html

including details about the role of MS06-019.

- Juha-Matti

All,

I have read the Microsoft advisory and the alarm bells started

whistle ;)

As fas a I can read this open the door to fully self
propagating
email worms with whatever payload you desire.

Yet, sans.org, symantec and
us-cert.gov still have their threat levels on 1.

What am I missing, surely
this superseeds the IE7 0-day action (sorry couldn't resist).

Schanulleke

Concerned about your privacy? Instantly send FREE secure email, no account required
http://www.hushmail.com/send?l=480

https://www.hushssl.com?l=485