Full Disclosure mailing list archives

RE: RE: Panda Antivirus Enterprise Secure, Norton Antivirus 2005 and the virus "I Love You"

From: "Debasis Mohanty" <debasis.mohanty.listmails () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 7 May 2006 23:49:13 +0530

Singnature based analysis doesn't apply well incase of script based worms /
virii. The issues here seems to be lack of feature to do an appropriate
analysis of script based worms.

Symantec is able to block it because, in addition to signature matching it
is also trying to figure out what the script is upto. In this kind of real
time analysis, AV usually look for any kind of possible malicious activity
by the script by intercepting wsh or wscript calls. For example - If a .vbs
, .hta or .wsh file is opened a system then the AV (with real-time
protection) usually look for the presence FileSystemObject calls or
something similar in the file and then block it from getting executed. It
prompts the user to either allow it of disallow it. It may happen that it
sometimes blocks valid scripts with valid calls to fso but like any other
security products these kind of false positives do sneak in.

I am rather surprised that Panda AV doesn't have this basic feature to block
such scripts and is relying only upon signature based analysis.

Have you also tried this test with Pest Control?? I guess they do have a
nice real time protection.

-d