Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Patterns and Security Measurement

From: foofus () foofus net
Date: Fri, 5 May 2006 10:41:16 -0500

On Fri, May 05, 2006 at 05:30:50PM +0200, Nguyen Pham wrote:
Actually, I am trying to measure security (and then security assurance)
level of a complex telecommunication network. I am looking for a
method/approach/product using sets of predefined, standard entities
(station, server, firewall, router, ...) and relations (forming
"patterns" like pipe, cluster, bus, gateway, ..., architectures) which
have already been measured to simplify the process of system security
measurement. An aggregation algorithm is then needed to arrive at an
overall system security value.

I've done some work along these lines, involving just servers
and workstations.  My materials from ToorCon might contain some
items of interest for you:
http://www.toorcon.org/2005/slides/foofus-howbigisthatfootinthedoor.pdf

Any recommendation of academic or industrial solutions would be welcome.

In my bibliography, you'll see a reference to "Archipelago," which
is a more general project.  Their work is academic in nature, but
I think their software is freely downloadable.

Other suggestions for solving the problem (security measurement of
complex network) are also greatly appreciated.

See also NIST special publication 800-26; its a set of guidelines
for evaluating security maturity.  Non-technical in nature, but
it provides a scale that can be nicely applied to more or less
any specific security objective.

--Foofus.