Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Re: Question about Mac OS X 10.4 Security

From: mz4ph0d () gmail com
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2006 09:42:47 +1100

At 4:20 PM -0600 1/3/06, Paul Schmehl wrote:
So, Apple hasn't fully addressed this problem yet. (Trust me, I've tested it.) If you are responsible for Macs and you haven't read this yet, you need to:

Safari and Mail. Sure, agreed, but they do move quickly to fix problems
publicly known, and I'm very confident that they'll shortly also release
a fix for the filetype/app problem (what could be considered the main
problem I guess).

Apple actually *do* tend to position security over functionality, unlike
Microsoft (do?/has?), when the way something that was introduced as
a feature is shown to be insecure, they change it to make it more
secure, rather than saying "It's what our users want! It's a feature,
not a bug."

Granted though, users feeling more secure can certainly lead to lapses
in security through complacency, that's the same on any platform.

Z.