Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: HTTP AUTH BASIC monowall.

From: Simon Smith <simon () snosoft com>
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2006 12:43:54 -0500

Brian,
    I fully agree and thanks for the references. My next step after I'd
found a good solution was going to be focusing in the session security.
Thanks for the input/help man. I appreciate it!

Brian Eaton wrote:
Simon Smith simon at snosoft.com wrote

My first thought was on how to harden the
authentication because the basic auth didn't cut it for me. Thats what I
am looking for ideas for.

Here are some things to start with:

Client certificates.
Kerberos.
Two-factor authentication.

Unfortunately with web applications you not only need to worry about
the initial authentication, but how the session is maintained.  If the
session is maintained using cookies, all the strong authentication in
the world won't save you from having that session hijacked.

- Brian

--
Regards,
        Jackass