Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: FrSIRT Puts Exploits up for Sale

From: rembrandt () jpberlin de
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2006 02:38:29 +0100 (CET)

Ivan . wrote:

Out of curriosity... what right does an author have to ask that they NOT
sell his or her materials?
Does french copyright law support any such author rights?

I personally do not like the thought of Fr-Sirt profiting from my
work... especially after the way they seem to have disrespected authors
like myself in the past.

-KF

During European Laws (in mostly ALL countries the same):

If you puplish something without a license it is OPEN DOMAIN
That means people can use it, modify it, sell it...
BUT
There`s one BIG exception:
The Author can prohebit it! And if the autor didn`t made a clear point
(e.g. that his stuff can get sold) it must get mentioned like a "NO"
(contract laws. Like: if you change parts of a contract and you don´t get
an answer it must get noticed as "NO" (something even the german telekom
had to learn...)).

So as long as the original author didn`t angreed it`s totaly illegal to
sell the stuff.
Exeption: E.g. you burn a lot Puplic-Domain stuff on a CD and you sell the
whole CD for e.g. 1-3 EUR (to cover the cost of a CD+energy you needed to
burn it. This is NOT valid for downloads).

Another law:
If a german sues Frist he`ll sue them in germany. If this german is the
original author the judgement will be clear.. and Frist will have another
problem... So autors don´t have to care where the company is from.

All the stuff -> Add some "As far as I know...."
Laws change.. but something never changes..

Rembrandt