Full Disclosure mailing list archives

RE: Corporate Virus Threats

From: "Castigliola, Angelo" <ACastigliola () unumprovident com>
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2006 09:42:34 -0400

When the malicious code writers build their viruses and Trojans why not
code the threats to detect the use of proxy servers and if used, connect
through them.

Typically you can get to the internet through the default gateway directly from the computer without needing to
configure proxy settings. A better question would be why do viruses run in user-mode versus kernel mode (see
http://www.phrack.org/show.php?p=62&a=6 "Kernel-mode backdoors for Windows NT")? My guess is that 15-18 year old kids
that write viruses mostly use recycled code and are often poorly written.

Working in Corporate America, most firewall configurations block outbound
TCP 80, as the proxies listen on other non-standard TCP ports.

I do not agree with this. Most corporations allow outbound TCP 80.

I think this thread is more appropriate for focus-virus and not Full-disclosure.

Angelo Castigliola III
Enterprise Security Architecture
UnumProvident

The posts and threads in this email do not reflect the opinions of nor are endorsed by UnumProvident, Inc., nor any of
its employees.