Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: 70 million computers are using Windows 98rightnow

From: "Dude VanWinkle" <dudevanwinkle () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2006 18:41:58 -0400

On 7/16/06, Eliah Kagan <degeneracypressure () gmail com> wrote:
On 7/12/06, Dude VanWinkle wrote:
> and for the record, win9x doesnt have the option for security. no
> ACL's, file system doesnt support them, doesnt that make the idea of
> securing it moot?

Win9x OSes (including Windows ME) are not true multi-user operating
systems. They do not implement separation of priviledge (and they
don't, in any real sense, implement protected memory either, because
the system memory space is open to maintain compatibility with the
Win3.1 way of doing system calls). That does not mean that they are
*insecure*. It means that they are insecure if you allow untrusted
users or execute untrusted code.

isnt browsing the web to sites with flash, java, asp, php, etc,
allowing an untrusted user to run code on your machine?

I think so given the rate at which exploits are released for all the
above protocols, and especially considering the fact they will all go
unpatched from now on.

Forgive me if this is a stupid question, but doesnt win9x have file
shares? Does that require authentication?

-JP<who has never used win9x>