Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: 70 million computers are using Windows 98rightnow

From: bkfsec <bkfsec () sdf lonestar org>
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2006 15:06:38 -0400

Castigliola, Angelo wrote:

What you missed in my previous note is that I am simply not referring to
only websites but web applications also, specificity .NET web
applications. When I refer to feature rich I am speaking of things such
as view state, output caching, client-side validation, etc...

No, I understood it quite well. What you missed is that the target audience for the suggested use of Free Software solutions in those cases are not those using specialized applications.

IE is not "feature rich", you're talking about highly specialized custom applications -- which is predominantly what .Net is used for -- and poorly, I might add, more often than not. The example is no different than using, say, a Java add-on in Firefox. Should we then say that Firefox is itself feature rich because it supports Java? Clearly, you'd disagree... but then, you don't seem to know the difference between the .Net framework and IE so your opinion is somewhat questionable.

Sounds to me like you're a .Net programmer who isn't happy that his favorite toy relies on a piece of crap application to be pushed over the web. Welcome to the real world, son. Those who are serious about security and technology do not let arbitrary business decisions lead them around by the nose.

         -bkfsec