Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: 70 million computers are using Windows 98rightnow

From: "Dude VanWinkle" <dudevanwinkle () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2006 14:25:52 -0400

On 7/13/06, Castigliola, Angelo <ACastigliola () unumprovident com> wrote:

>This doesn't mean that W98 is secure. On Secunia's site the latest
>(corrected) vulnerability is dated 20060613, less than 1 month ago, and
>tomorrow someone could find a new one that won't be corrected.

Sure, that could happen but seeing how there are only two known exploits
published in 2006 for Windows 98 I think it is safe to say that the risk
is fairly low. Why should Microsoft spend millions of dollars to operate
a team to update Windows 98 when there was such a low volume of exploits
for Windows 98 with very little details regarding the specifics of the
exploit and no known code has been released to exploit these
vulnerabilities?

>You don't need 2000 vulnerability. It's enough only one exploit to
>create a 70 millions PC zombi net.

I'd like to see someone discus the plan of execution of exactly how a
hacker would go about compromising 70 million Windows 98 computers.

Put the exploit on your myspace account ;-)

http://weblogs.hitwise.com/bill-tancer/2006/07/myspace_moves_into_1_position.html

-JP