Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Urgent Alert: Possible BlackWorm DDay February3rd (Snort signatures included)

From: prb () lava net
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 16:51:29 -1000

On Tue, 24 Jan 2006 23:49:03 +0100, "ad () heapoverflow com" said:

and if the worm doesnt use any vulnerability, how come it has been so
widely spreaded ?

Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu wrote:

It doesn't exploit a *software* vuln, but a *wetware* one...

Well put. I suppose one could argue that when it comes to sex, this worm is proof that people never learn, but I'm a little more optimistic. By the time February 3 rolls around, perhaps a million will be infected. That's not chicken feed, but it's not very many in the overall scheme of things, either. And who knows, of that million, perhaps half will get it cleaned up before it starts corrupting data. That makes "only" half a million computers wiped out. Of that half million, perhaps 2 or 3 made backups; so it's not so bad. ;)
--
Hawaiian Astronomical Society: http://www.hawastsoc.org
HAS Deepsky Atlas: http://www.hawastsoc.org/deepsky