Full Disclosure mailing list archives

RE: Re: [ GLSA 200601-09 ]Wine:Windows MetafileSETABORTPROC vulnerability

From: "Peter Ferrie" <pferrie () symantec com>
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2006 14:47:19 -0800

It's insecure-by-design, but it's working exactly as written.
It's been in there for _15_ years, and ported to every version of Windows.
Windows 3.0 supports it. :-/

I'm still having a bit of trouble following Gibson's explanation of how the
WMF flaw works, but it's my impression he says it does *not* operate
according to spec. And yet Wine is vulnerable. Am I wrong?

Steve is wrong.  Wine was (I believe that a patch was released) vulnerable
because the function was documented exactly as it behaves, and they coded to that.

8^) p.