Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Trojan found on Linux server

From: Niek <niek () asbak coding-slaves com>
Date: Mon, 02 Jan 2006 22:39:09 +0100

On 1/2/2006 10:31 PM +0200, Gaddis, Jeremy L. wrote:
After having a customer report that he had large amounts of outbound traffic from one of his Linux servers, I began to investigate and found a trojan.

The trojan had created a crontab for the "nobody" user (Apache was running as nobody and, while I did not take the time to verify I believe that Apache was probably the way the intruder got in) which, at 24 minutes after the hour, would write itself out to /tmp/ummtodkhk and then execute itself.

The /tmp/ummtodkhk file was packed with UPX. It has been unpacked and made available at http://www.jeremygaddis.com/files/ummtodkhk. It was submitted to VirusTotal, but nothing identified as anything known.

The results of `crontab -l -u nobody >> nobody.cron` are available at http://www.jeremygaddis.com/files/nobody.cron.

-j

Hi Jeremy,

This is a much seen thing these days.
Your customer probably got attacked by an insecure php script (cacti/xmlphp/awstats/ect). Check your apache logs.
if I grep my logs for wget, I see tons of attempts.

The trojan is a an irc drone, listinging for ddos commands/ect.

Regards,
Niek