Full Disclosure mailing list archives

How we caught an Identity Thief

From: Babak Pasdar <bpasdar () igxglobal com>
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2006 08:40:48 -0500

It all started with a phone call. "Someone has the likeness of our site,
on a very similar sounding domain!" This is the story of how igxglobal
worked in conjunction with the client and the FBI to identify and stop a
would be Identity thief.

It was the summer of 2001 and we received a call from our client who, to
their credit, was attempting to register all like sounding domains to
prevent their customers from falling prey to identity thieves. They are
in the financial services business and wanted to avoid the exact
scenario that actually happened! The client will remain anonymous for
this story.

It seems that someone had registered the same exact domain and added an
"s" at the end. They had also taken the time to build a likeness of the
client's web site, which included username and password entry forms. If
someone gained access to the site they would be presented with numerous
names, social security numbers, address and quite possibly bank account
information.

Read the rest:
http://dsb.igxglobal.com/plugins/content/content.php?content.40

Babak Pasdar
Founder / Chief Technology & Information Security Officer

Support the Daily Security Briefing Web Site and Register Here:
http://dsb.igxglobal.com

For this week's DSB/Week-in-Review Audio/Video Security Report:
http://dsb.igxglobal.com/news.php?item.67.4

To register for a Daily Security Intelligence e-mail:
http://www.igxglobal.com/dsb/register.html

Get your security news via Podcast:
http://dsb.igxglobal.com/page.php?11

igxglobal utilizes state of the art technology from PGP to ensure the safeguard of all electronic correspondences.
This message could have been secured by PGP Universal. To secure future messages from this sender, please click this
link and contact your representative at igxglobal for further information:

https://keys.igxglobal.com/b/b.e?r=full-disclosure%40lists.grok.org.uk&n=4Njq7juzEf1Yn9MHjRn9Ow%3D%3D