Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: SSH brute force blocking tool

From: "J. Oquendo" <sil () infiltrated net>
Date: Fri, 01 Dec 2006 07:50:14 -0500

Tonnerre Lombard wrote:
Salut,

On Fri, 2006-12-01 at 07:26 -0500, J. Oquendo wrote:
So again... Some of you guys need to go back and read before you post....

In this case, the NF wasn't in your original posting, so I could hardly
have seen it. Still, there are problems with it, but not security
wise...

awk 'NF<=10&&($6=="nvalid"||$7=="user")&&$9=="from"{print $10}'

Once you try a moronic name insertion it makes the columns more than 10 rows invalidating it.

In that case, your script isn't going to work in most cases. For
example, on our router we get:

Dec  1 13:35:24 rtsyg01 sshd[12178]: Failed password for invalid user
asdf from 10.1.5.166 port 51558 ssh2

-> more than 10 columns.

And this is my problem how? The script was written mainly for myself and was passed on as something someone can use at their leisure and expense. "Your script isn't going to work boohoo" Is it not customizable to fit your need. I would think so all it is doing is text processing
no brainer there.

Also, one of our customers uses user names which consist of two parts
which are separated by spaces. This is due to his use of Windows. The
users are called e.g. "John Doe", so you do an ssh "John
Doe () servername asdf ch". In this case, your script fails entirely

Again... Re-read my previous paragraph.

--
J. Oquendo
http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x1383A743