Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Re: kiddie porn warning [was: Fwd: Re: montspace -- child porn (site still up)]

From: Steve Kudlak <chromazine () sbcglobal net>
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 23:32:22 -0700

This is an example of politicos gone wild. What funtionally happens is that when some hot button issue comes down the pike every politico wants to be seen as having done something about whatever the big scary thing is. In the 1950s and the early 1960s it was Communism and Communist Infilitrationm now it is Terrorism and Child Pornography. So all sorts of laws get passed requiring one to do something just in case. My suspcions is that lots of technical people get burnt out with all of these requirements and put them on the bottom of the list of things to do.

I live in a town known for some of its out there residents. I remember that after September 11th 2001 for several years the local FBI office was fielding many phone calls from people who had claimed to have overheard all sorts of diabolical plans while standing in the line at the local post office. They were getting really burned out by it all. I was once a sysadmin for a system that lots of folks had access to, lots of complaints about the "naked kids standing in the bathtub" pix. WHich by the way "Simple Nudity is Not Obscene" and all that stuff that came down when artitsts used their children as nude models. I dunno I haven't ever been able to track down this montspace stuff to see if any of it was really that reprehensible. There is a difference between represhensible and something that justg sets off someone,

Usually I wouldn't difgnify this with print but since this is something that is often part and parcel of a systemadmin's worfld, and heaven knows if my health should ever improve enough for me to do that sort of stuff again....I suspect it will become part of the world I will have to deal with again and it will be back to "is this something real that real resources shold be devoted to, or it kind of like a "Satanic Panic" and McMartin Preschool Scandal, and all that sort of stuff that really is pretty questionable.

Have Fun,
Sends Steve

Michael Holstein wrote:

(a) When a provider of electronic communications services or remote computing services to the public ("provider") obtains knowledge of facts or circumstances concerning an apparent violation of Federal child pornography statutes designated by 42 U.S.C. 13032(b)(1), it shall, as soon as reasonably possible, report all such facts or circumstances to the "Cyber Tipline" at the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children Web site (http://www.CyberTipline.com), which contains a reporting form for use by providers.

Interestingly enough, this form does a "500 Server Error" when you try to use Firefox on Linux. Missing and exploited children can only be reported using IE on Windows, I guess :(

I realize that "no good deed goes unpunished" .. but it's hard to maintain a "head in the sand" approach when it comes to such reprehensible things.

Not only do we have to fear retribution from perpetrator of a crime, we also have to worry about being victimized by the authorities for doing the "right thing".

Sigh....

/mike.