Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: SecureW2 TLS security problem

From: "Dave Korn" <davek_throwaway () hotmail com>
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2005 14:05:54 +0100

----Original Message----
From: Simon Josefsson

Hi everyone!  I was looking at the code for a TLS implementation, an
open source implementation "SecureW2" by Alfa & Ariss, see:

http://www.securew2.com/uk/index.htm

I found that it uses weak random numbers when generating the
pre-master-secret.  The code is in "./Components/Common/release
3/version 0/source/CommonTLS.c" and quoted below.

It appear to be using the weak srand/rand functions seeded by the
milliseconds field from the system clock.  That doesn't provide you
with 48 bytes of strong randomness, you are lucky to get even a few
bytes.

  I'm not impressed by the modulo 255 operation either!

        //
        // Random bytes
        //
        for( i=2; i < TLS_PMS_SIZE; i++ )
                pbPMS[i] = ( BYTE ) ( rand() % 255 );

  Both that and the use of rand are indicators of serious lack of
programming skill/experience.

    cheers,
      DaveK