Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Exploiting a Worm

From: Frank Knobbe <frank () knobbe us>
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 11:39:06 -0500

On Tue, 2005-09-13 at 22:29 +0000, Ian Gizak wrote:
I'm pentesting a client's network and I have found a Windows NT4 machine
with ports 620 and 621 TCP ports open.

When I netcat this port, it returns garbage binary strings. When I connect
to port 113 (auth), it replies with random USERIDs.
[...]
I have checked the open ports and no-one seems to be the worm ftp server or
something useful related to the worm. Some ports allow input but don't reply
anything...

Could it be that you are buzzing around a honeypot like a moth around a
porch light? Or have to followed up with the client and can you rule it
out as a honeypot? Otherwise it's a very interesting port fingerprint
for an NT4 box :)

Cheers,
Frank

--
Ciscogate: Shame on Cisco. Double-Shame on ISS.