Full Disclosure mailing list archives

SANS Top 20: Mac OS X?

From: Anonymous Squirrel <anonymous.squirrel () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2005 08:52:30 -0500

I see SANS has put the Mac OS X in it's "Top 20" list of vulnerabilities.
Not parts of the OS, and not misconfigurations, but ALL of the Mac OS X.  Is
that OS really a "vulnerability" of such magnitude that it deserves a "Top
20" listing?

I'm puzzled, SANS remediation is merely patch, turn on the firewall, and
configure per published guidelines.  That fits for _any_ OS.

It just doesn't make sense that the _entire_ OS is a "Top 20" yet the
remediation is so basic.

Does SANS know something we don't?  Is the mere existence of OS X in a
network so bad that it deserves to be tagged as a "Top 20"?