Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: SmartCards programming...

From: "Jon Barber" <jon.barber () acm org>
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2005 11:54:07 +0000

Hi Khaalel,

For your project I'd recommend the basic card, as the kits are
affordable and easily available - http://www.basiccard.com/. They use a
dialect of basic (surprise surprise) and are very usable, although
single app focused.

You could of course use JavaCard, but obtaining the sample cards can be
hard and expensive. You may have luck approaching Gemplus seeing you are
based in France, and also IBM in Zurich are very helpful -
http://www.zurich.ibm.com/jcop/news/news.html. They now use Eclipse as a
development platform for thier cards and you can buy individual samples
at a reasonable rate. I'm sure if you mention your project they'll be
very helpful and may even give you a free sample :-).

Both cards have a good selection of symmetric & asymetric crypto. I'd
rate both platforms equal in terms of development effort. The major
difference is that the JavaCard can have > 1 app on it, whereas
BasicCard can't (or couldn't last time I looked).

Jon.