Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Database servers on XP and the curious flaw

From: "David Litchfield" <davidl () ngssoftware com>
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2005 18:26:59 -0000

Hi Eliah,

David Litchfield wrote:
Hey all,
I've just put up a paper on a curious flaw that appears when running a

My intent is not to MS-bash here, but perhaps Microsoft is to blame
for not educating people about this issue. (If they had, your paper
would be superfluous.)

Usually if millions of users are insecure because they don't know
something, someone is to blame.

To be honest I don't think we're talking millions of people. How many people at home run a fully fledged RDBMS on their XP systems? Very few I'd guess. Besides, Simple File Sharing is documented so MS are educating those willing to seek information.

Cheers,
David
http://www.databasesecurity.com/
http://www.ngssoftware.com/