Full Disclosure mailing list archives

RE: the "Sony/BMG" virus

From: "Todd Towles" <toddtowles () brookshires com>
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2005 13:07:26 -0600

*WHAT* danger?  I mean, there's that button they clicked, the
one that said 'I accept, even though there's no hint that
this includes a colon cleansing with a scrub brush made from
a week-old roadkill porcupine'.

Look around - there's no danger that a large corporation will
feel any liability for anything perpetrated by its software.
Only people who have to worry are places that employ less
than 100 people to write malicious software.

Are you quoting Sony's legal position from a policy somewhere? ;)

They went down the wrong road. Adware and spyware vendors will start to
use this added cloaking feature to their advantage, I would guess. Plus
almost every bot that is made will most likely see if this code is there
(instead of using their own code) and use it as a standard check. Stupid
Sony..

-Todd