Full Disclosure mailing list archives

RE: [security] Mozilla Foundation GIF Overflow

From: Steven Rakick <stevenrakick () yahoo com>
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2005 10:54:38 -0800 (PST)

Hi Richard,

Thanks for the email.

Based on what you're saying, things have changed then
since: http://xforce.iss.net/xforce/xfdb/18882.  In
that URL, Proventia A, G and M series are listed as
affected.

I'm not quite sure why it would affect the AV engine,
but not the IPS engine unless you're looking at the
content in a different manner. Can you explain what
you're doing differrently now? Are you inspecting all
RFC 2397 embedded data?

Steve

--- "Armstrong, Richard (ISS Texas)"
<rarmstrong () iss net> wrote:
The trick below is a way to get around AV Gateways
but not Intrusion
Prevention Systems.  The M Series is our multi
function box.  So while
the GIF would have made if pass the AV Gateway
module it would not have
made it past the IPS module.  The FW and IPS module
come with all M
Series appliances for free.

Our A and G Series appliances do not have AV
Gateways and were not
vulnerable to the below.

Richard Armstrong, CISSP
Director Systems Engineering