Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Reverse dns

From: Paul Schmehl <pauls () utdallas edu>
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2005 09:57:57 -0600

Is there an RFC *requirement* for reverse dns?

I've been looking through the RFCs and I can't find it. Some folks think reverse dns should be completely disabled. I know for sure that this will break email, because many mail servers won't talk to a server that doesn't reverse. Tcpdump also doesn't like hosts that won't reverse.

What I'm looking for is a standard (RFC) that states that enabling reverse lookups is *required* or reverse lookups are *optional*. If they're optional, then reverse could be disabled for most hosts.

I'm also looking for a list of things that *break* when you disable reverse (e.g. mail).

RULES FOR RESPONDING:
1) "Reverse is a good thing" is not an answer. Neither is "Reverse is a bad thing". 2) Opinions are not useful - stick to facts only - chapter and verse please.
3) All replies to the list please - others will find this useful as well.

Paul Schmehl (pauls () utdallas edu)
Adjunct Information Security Officer
The University of Texas at Dallas
AVIEN Founding Member