Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: re: Bios Programming...

From: Benjamin Franz <snowhare () nihongo org>
Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2005 09:57:00 -0800 (PST)

On Fri, 4 Mar 2005, Matt Marooney wrote:
Most Important Requirements:

1. Multi-protocol monitoring (HTTP, FTP, Chat, File sharing,
Newsreaders, etc.)

2. Thin application, does not *noticeably* interfere with normal
computer operation

3. Difficult to remove (disregarding all hardware replacements,
obviously, the person could go get a new computer) without a password

Again, thanks for your helpful input.  I assure you, I am not trying to
create more problems, and I am just like you guys when it comes to
hatred of spy ware.  I've been making a pretty decent living for years
securing people's computers.

What you want is a IDS/firewall/DSL/Cablemodem gateway/router that packet sniffs for 'bad stuff' on the wire. They plug their computer into the gateway and it connects to the net through it.

That won't stop encrypted traffic, but most anything else should be managable. There are probably off-the-shelf systems exactly like that already available ("Corporate firewall applicances").

--
Benjamin Franz

"All right, where is the answer? The battle of wits has begun.
It ends when you click and we both serve pages - and find out who is right,
and who is slashdotted." - David Brandt
Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html