Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Mozillat trashing host file

From: "Daniel Sichel" <daniels () Ponderosatel com>
Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2005 08:19:00 -0700

Upon return, when she tries to go to her specified homepage, it
instead
tries to access the hotel's (I'm assuming here) proxy or autorization
server - no, no proxy settings set.

The hotel DHCP probably over wrote your hosts or DNS resolver file.  On
Slackware that would be /etc/hosts and /etc/resolv.conf

As a standard part of our laptop windblose install we pre populate the
host file with the business related entries we need (no arp cache
poisoning please) then make the host rile read only. You'd be amazed at
the headaches this simple prescaution prevents.

Dan Sichel
Network Engineer
Ponderosa Telephone
daniels () ponderosatel com (559) 868-6367