Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: www.whois.sc (Florian Weimer)

From: mike bailey <worried () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2005 07:20:40 -0400

Florian Weimer Said:
I have recently seen a web page www.whois.sc. One of the features that
they have is a "reverse ip" lookup. With that tool I can lookup the IP
address of a server and it will return how many domains are hosted on it.

What I have been trying to figure out is how does that work? I did a
tcpdump on the server that I looked up and it didnt see any abnormal
packets. Does anyone have any idea how that feature works?

I know the website http://whois.webhosting.info also offers this feature. I've come to the conclusion that they just
spider the web for domain names, obtain a dns record, and then store the result in a database. whois.webhost.info also
offers the ability to check what company owns that ip block. Which is probably just returned from whois.arin.net . But it
may also take reverse dns replies into consideration.

Love,
Mike Bailey