Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Cisco IOS Shellcode Presentation

From: "J.A. Terranson" <measl () mfn org>
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2005 19:23:49 -0500 (CDT)

On Fri, 29 Jul 2005, Frank Knobbe wrote:

On Fri, 2005-07-29 at 18:57 -0500, J.A. Terranson wrote:
They fucked up.  They'll have to fix it then.  But thats not the same
as
the gross negligence they're being accused of.

I'm not sure that can fix that. Unless they add canaries to the stack
and include other OpenBSD style W^X type checks.

Those are one option (one I don't like BTW).  Actually, I was alluding to
the Harvard Architecture.  But however they choose to do it, they'll
either have to fix it or suffer the financial consequences.  What they
*can't* do is put the genie back into the bottle - that particular genie
is getting gray hairs now!

Also, that Cisco must fix was not the point of my argument.  I was trying
to point out that Jaosn's basic premise that this was a grossly negligent
act by Cisco is pure fiction.

--
Yours,

J.A. Terranson
sysadmin () mfn org
0xBD4A95BF

"A stock broker is someone who handles your money until its all gone."
Diana Hubbard (of Scientology fame)