Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: plz suggest security for DLL functions

From: Tim <tim-security () sentinelchicken org>
Date: Fri, 1 Jul 2005 14:37:18 -0400

Give them a DLL that just tosses an RPC call to a secured server that you
manage.

And how would your server differentiate between a "good" RPC call and a
"bad" one?

Another, even better, idea is to give them a click-through EULA that contains
a line of the form "misusing or reverse-engineerng our usage of jalepenos will
result in a $MOBY surcharge and/or other legal action...."

Yes, this is probably all you'll be able to do. (Besides code
obfuscation that doesn't make your code significantly harder to "steal".)

It is trivial for any attacker to throw a brick through my window and
steal all of my furniture while I am not home.  Why don't they do it on
a daily basis?  The risk and consequences of getting caught vs. the
rewards of fencing my crappy furniture.

tim