Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Microsoft AntiSpyware - First Impressions

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Fri, 07 Jan 2005 16:19:50 -0500

On Fri, 07 Jan 2005 12:52:58 CST, Kyle Maxwell said:

It may not be perfect (I thought the Spyware Community was essentially
sending back to a central site, didn't realize it was P2P, this
requires a closer look) but at a minimum it's nice to see MS giving
this some attention. Fix the IE holes and security model and maybe
we'd go even further... But that's a flame war for another day.

How much will Joe Sixpack pay for a fixed IE, given that the current broken
one is marketed as a mandatory free anal suppository, and Firefox is free?

How much will Joe Sixpack pay for a fixed security model, when he wouldn't
recognize one if it bit him where the IE was inserted?

How much will Joe Sixpack pay for "Spyware Prevention" if it's accompanied
by a slick ad campaign, (like AOL's current "I want my computer to suffer
a complete system meltdown" ads...)?

Remember - Microsoft is a business and wants to maximize the profit, even if
it means shipping sub-standard product and then charging extra to fix the issues...

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html