Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Administrivia: List Compromised due to Mailman Vulnerability

From: bkfsec <bkfsec () sdf lonestar org>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2005 10:07:06 -0500

Anders Langworthy wrote:

Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu wrote:

Unless we have a Schrodinger's Cat John who manifests itself twice, once
saying "Yup" and once saying "Oh shit!". :)

Hehe. Technically it doesn't work that way. At this very moment, the certificate can be both valid and invalid. However, once we query John about his state (akin to opening the bag and checking up on the Cat) and he produces an answer, the wave function that is John's SSL Certificate has collapsed. At that point, the certificate can either be valid or invalid, but not both. I strongly urge John to consider the moral ramifications involved in destroying an otherwise harmless duality, and hope he chooses to remain silent to keep things exciting.

Which of course brings up the interesting proposition that if Schrodinger's Cat were on the net, where would it's box be?

Which, of course, is followed up by the fact that if the Cat were on the net, it would cease being both alive and dead at the same time due to lag issues.

         -Barry

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html