Full Disclosure mailing list archives

New virus?

From: "Greg" <full-disclosure1 () pchandyman com au>
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 13:54:49 +1100

Just a question:

Recently had a rash of machines all turn off USB support. I am unsure what turned it off but was easily able to turn all back on of course. All machines are not from the one place either nor are they all from the same company so I am wondering if this is something new. Anybody know?

Symptoms: No USB anywhere, rest of machine OK to passable. All machines had Zone Alarm of one sort or another and on every machine Zone Alarm, whether connected to Internet or not, ramped up to 100% use of CPU. When USB was set back to working, some machines showed known viruses that had nothing to do with this sort of action and Zone Alarm didn't cause a problem. Some machines had been hijacked or were otherwise open to being used over Internet and some were not.

If anyone can point me towards what may be causing this, I would appreciate it. I used Mcafee and AVG to search for viruses but nothing known to have made this occur was found. Quite a lot of the machines ran Nortons of one sort or another and it was working and up to date but still one machine had 1035 infected files, none of which Nortons mentioned in any way.

Thanks for any help.

Greg.