Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Standalone PC Lockdown

From: "ad () heapoverflow com" <ad () heapoverflow com>
Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2005 19:58:45 +0100

I think deep freeze is a good reference, a lot used in government/schools.

http://www.faronics.com/index.asp

Jesse Valentin wrote:
Hello everyone,

Wanted to find out if anyone knew of a PC Lockdown program that could be
used on a standalone machine? I'm planning to setup a machine running
Windows XP Pro for a friend that wants to allow different people to use
a machine for research purposes.

This machine is a standalone and I want to restrict certain programs and
options on the Start menu from everyone except Admins. So far I've
played with the services on the box, but any change I make to a service
affects every user on the box. I really want to enforce software
restrictions as well as operating system restrictions on the box but not
sure how to do this without impacting the other users on the system.

Anyone know of any program that locks down the PC similar to what a bank
does or machines that are used at kiosks in tradeshows?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks -

JV

This e-mail and any attachments may be confidential or legally
privileged. If you received this message in error or are not the
intended recipient, you should destroy the e-mail message and any
attachments or copies, and you are prohibited from retaining,
distributing disclosing or using any information contained herein.
Please inform the sender of the erroneous delivery by return e-mail.
Thank you for your cooperation.

Yahoo! Shopping
<http://us.rd.yahoo.com/mail_us/footer/shopping/*http://shopping.yahoo.com/;_ylc=X3oDMTE2bzVzaHJtBF9TAzk1OTQ5NjM2BHNlYwNtYWlsdGFnBHNsawNob2xpZGF5LTA1