Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Re: Format String Vulnerabilities in Perl Programs

From: "Steven M. Christey" <coley () linus mitre org>
Date: Sun, 4 Dec 2005 01:49:25 -0500 (EST)

It was mentioned this week, but not in my paper, so it didn't hurt for it
to be mentioned again :)

- Steve

On Sun, 4 Dec 2005, Stan Bubrouski wrote:

On 12/3/05, Michael J. Pomraning <mjp () securepipe com> wrote:
<SNIP>
For Perl projects, I'd also nominate syslog(), from the standard Sys::Syslog
module, for special attention.  It's common in *NIX environments regardless
of programmers' backgrounds and is extremely likely to be called with
untrusted data interpolated directly in the format string argument --
syslog("info", "A user said $user_input"), for example.

This has been mentioned numerous times, including this week (?), nothing new.

-sb