Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: [Full-disclosure][WAY OFF TOPIC] complaints about thegovernemntspying!

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2005 11:23:05 -0500

On Fri, 30 Dec 2005 11:17:19 +0100, Oscar Fajardo said:
  So this is your way to "do something":

<long list of things elided>

Yes, we did a lot of bad things.  I'm not sure that all of them meet
the definition of "terrorism" though - putting a bullet into a country's
leader doesn't directly instill fear that the same snipers will target
the general population next.  Though I'll grant you that the napalm
and Agent Orange in southeast Asia qualifies as eco-terrorism, and we
have a bad record for installing regimes that then turn to terror
tactics to maintain power....

Calling everything "terrorism" merely abuses the word, and makes it hard
to talk about either terrorism or the non-terrorist things that have been
lumped under the word.